Sunday, November 9, 2008

A page from your book

When I was very young, I was blessed to have two VIA's in my life. Very Important Aunts! Mary and Ca were legendary among family and friends as the greatest Aunts around! When I think of them, I am reminded of unconditional love and the sweet little 'nothings' that they were continually doing for us to make us feel out- of -this- world important.


I bring them up because I need to borrow a page from their book! I haven't blogged in over a month, mostly because I have been so busy and have little to blog about. BUT.....yes there is a BUT....I also haven't blogged because I have been running a little low on unconditional love and have been having difficulty being all sweet and nice about my offspring lately!

There, I said it! Is that legal in Bloggerville? They have been absolutely driving me nuts! At first I blamed it on PMS......but as the weeks wore on, this excuse lost it's validity. It is the entitlement, the whining, the infighting and the lack of respect that I get regularly from my brood, who BTW just returned from a surprise trip to Disneyland ..(hopefully I will be able to blog about the trip nicely very soon!).
What is a mom to do?

One day, when I was quite young, I remember standing in my VIA's kitchen and decided I would whip them up a delectable treat. Saltines and Peanut Butter, with a smattering of salt and pepper (I'd seen my mom shake this stuff on everything, it had to make this better, right?). I proudly displayed my creation to my VIA's and my mom and they dutifully nibbled on the treat, never once indicating that they wanted to hurl. They discreetly salvaged the unpeppered peanut butter and clean saltine edges for their dining pleasure. I was so proud and always felt so loved. This was no exception.
How can I dutifully salvage the 'good' in my children right now and show them that unconditional love (and not the door?). I love, love love my children with all my heart. I think that is my problem.......I am disappointed in our recent home life and want my cute, sweet, fun to blog about family back!

So, I blog on............I move on! I try to steal a page from the VIA's book. How I wish they were here to put me in my place! Anyone have a page I can borrow?

I have to believe that this too shall pass!

8 comments:

Jill said...

Maybe you should borrow a page from my book as of late....one day at a time...one hour at a time. Seems to help me, though for a different reason. When all else fails, pray...and PRAY HARD.

Love you...and so do my kids, if that makes you feel any better. :)

Chelsea Pickup said...

Whit,

I think you are an amazing mother. Since I met you I was in awe of how spunky and fun of a mother you are to your kids. They are so lucky to have you. I know they love and appreciate you. Why? Because I spent a few days with them and at night I could tell they missed you. They didn't all say that, but Travis and I knew that they couldn't wait til you guys got home.

I agree with Jill about praying. Something just feels so pure and innocent when you go to Heavenly Father about something so dear to your heart. He will comfort you on days or weeks that feel ridiculously hard. Trust me...I have some small experience with a teething sassy 15 month old ;)

I love you and I hope you know that you are a model mom in my eyes!!

xoxo Chelsea

Tony@ That One Paticular Harbor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hey Whitney!!!! Thank you for the comment!!! I miss you tons and I am sad that we didn't have our water party this year. :( I love you girl!! By the way...your kids are still adorable as ever!!!!!

whitney said...

Chels et. al
thank you so much for your kind words!! and your sage and so simple advice! You hit the nail on the head..somedays this job is ridiculously hard! I count my blessings in friends and family who made me smile tonite! xoxo

bhblood said...

I don't have any solutions for your "problems" so to speak but thanks for the blog about our great VIA's. They really were the best!! If you find a solution for the other stuff let me know we have the same problem at our house! Love ya!

Happy Heidi said...

Girlfriend - thanks for keeping it real! Parenting is clearly the hardest job in the world and we just never know if what we're doing is making a difference - and I'm always praying my kids don't remember details of these years:) (What - was the TV really on all day today? whoops). I love you. You're super awesome. Heidi

Jaynann said...

Love that you are saying it like it is...don't our kids drive us all crazy sometimes! Doesn't mean we don't love em.

Loved riding with you today! I always have such a great time.